PowerPoint

Technical/General Questions and Answers about EasyWorship 2009

Moderators: DanW, billh, Rodger, Terry

Re: PowerPoint

Postby VideoBillBa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Thanks Terry.

The song was cut and pasted from a website. I'm not sure I understand where to delete extra spaces, before or after each verse? There is not a line before the first verse so how would I delete spaces before that one? Is there a way to make EasyWorship strip invalid characters automatically? I tried this from the web into Word and they somehow ignore these or strip them.

This computer has no printer attached or printer drivers installed.

I will look for the Webex add-in the next time I'm at the church.

I ran a PowerPoint loop in Dual display mode overnight without problems with EasyWorship not running. Zero chance it would make it that long running the same file through EasyWorship.
VideoBillBa

Postby Rodger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:54 pm

You don't seem to have any problems with the PowerPoints until you are trying to use them in a service. Maybe there is some other software being used, or something being done that you wouldn't normally do if you weren't in a worship service. I want to try your test in EasyWorship. Will the Loop slideshow you emailed, work for this test? I'll run the slideshow through EasyWorship for the rest of the day. It will be using the PowerPoint application to import the slideshow and project the slideshow.
Here are my system specs.
Windows 7 Pro.
PowerPoint 2010 32 bit.
Intel Core2Duo 3.0 GHz Socket 775
4 Gig of memory
ATI Radeon 5450 graphics

Other programs open.
Internet Explorer 9.
Google Chrome.
Outlook.
VNC Viewer
Spark Jabber client
Remote desktop multiple sessions for multiple servers.
Vipre Virus scanner
Dropbox
Logmein
Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. Col. 4:6
Rodger
Support

Postby Rodger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Are you using the Foldback feature?
Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person. Col. 4:6
Rodger
Support

Postby Rodger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Bill,
After playing around with your slideshows and some that I created, I found the magic combination. Let's see if this is what you are experiencing.
EasyWorship is set to use the PowerPoint application instead of viewer. (This doesn't happen with viewer 2010, but Viewer won't loop slideshows) :(
Go live with PowerPoint 2010 slideshow.
While it's transitioning into a slide, go live with a song.
You'll find that PowerPoint will crash.
There are only two workarounds that I can find at this time.
Click the black or logo button before going live with the next item in the schedule, or take out the transitions in the slideshow.
I tested 2010 slideshows. I saved a slideshow to 2003 format and still got the error. I tried a slideshow built in PowerPoint 2007 and it still did it.
PowerPoint 2010 substitutes its transitions for the older style transition. I haven't seen this happen with PowerPoint 2007 or earlier.
You might be able to save them as 2003 format files and run them using PowerPoint viewer 2007, but you won't get the pretty new transitions from PowerPoint 2010.
Another option is to run your looping slideshow directly through PowerPoint.
When you are ready to start service, switch over to EW and allow EW to use the 2010 viewer for the sermon and other slideshows that don't need to loop.
Rodger
Support

Postby VideoBillBa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:38 am

Thanks for not giving up on this issue. Terry did a remote into our computer and crashed it about 20 times. This is a very reproducable condition. I guess you are able to make this happen on your computer also. It happens during a slide transition. He put only one PowerPoint in the schedule, nothing else, no songs, no other PowerPoints and while a transition was going on, clicked on another slide and she's dead. I believe these are all the fancy new transitions.

Our training for someone to just run the service, not add songs or build a schedule, will have to go from have a seat, there's the Go Live button, figure the rest out to, be careful or you will make it crash. That's a lot of pressure for a volunteer. I know about this and might still forget to take this extra step. I know your guys are busy creating the new version. I'm hoping this issue can get just enough attention from the developers to eleminate this work-around so the program is as stable as we've known it to be.

Thanks Rodger and Terry!

Oh yeah, no we aren't using the Foldback monitor yet but have plans to get that going soon.
VideoBillBa

Postby RGDave » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:57 am

What works best for us is to save the PP 2010 slideshow as a .wmv file - then use it as you would any video - transitions and any animations are much smoother too! Other plus is the video launches much faster than the PP file.
RGDave

Postby VideoBillBa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:32 pm

Great suggestion. Do you save these directly out of PowerPoint or convert with some other software? This will solve the problem for our loop that plays pre and post service. It won't help for the announcements that have to be displayed to go along with someone speaking. It also won't help with the sermon. If you select a slide and want to go to another one before the transition has finished PowerPoint will lock up EasyWorship.

Thx. . .
VideoBillBa

Postby Rodger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:52 pm

PowerPoint 2010 allows you to save directly to a wmv file. If you do that, you can change the settings in EW to use the PowerPoint viewer instead of application. You'll want to make sure that PowerPoint 2010 viewer is installed though.
Rodger
Support

Postby VideoBillBa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:57 pm

Does that give me any control of the presentation?
VideoBillBa

Postby Rodger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:06 pm

If you are running the slideshow through EasyWorship and have EasyWorship set to use the viewer, it will work the same as it does when it is set to use the application, except that the viewer won't loop a slideshow. (Microsoft bug, not ours on that one)
Rodger
Support

Postby VideoBillBa » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm missing something. You want me to save this presentation in the Window Media Video format, .wmv and play that in the PowerPoint Viewer? If I play it as a video in EasyWorship I will not be able to select slides during a presentation. I'm obviously outside this conversation.
VideoBillBa

Postby Rodger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Save the looping slideshows like the loop slideshow you sent me as wmv files and play them as standard videos in EasyWorship and set it to loop the video.
For PowerPoint slideshows that don't require automatic looping slides, run them in EasyWorship as PowerPoint slideshows, but in EasyWorship change the settings to use PowerPoint viewer instead of the PowerPoint application. That's under live menu, options, advanced.
Rodger
Support

Postby VideoBillBa » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:49 am

Using the PowerPoint 2010 Viewer brings up the other problem we have, some of the presentations will not open when both checkboxes are unchecked. I get a "cannot find file xxx.ppt" that is not the name of the file I'm trying to open.
VideoBillBa

Postby RGDave » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:54 am

VideoBillBa,

I'm missing something. You want me to save this presentation in the Window Media Video format, .wmv and play that in the PowerPoint Viewer? If I play it as a video in EasyWorship I will not be able to select slides during a presentation. I'm obviously outside this conversation.

Run as a looping video in EW.

For our pre-service announcement loop - we typically have a 20+ PP slide presentation that is saved as a wmv file that loops before the service. These videos have been as large as 1.2Gb! Imagine running that as a PP2010 file - not only would it take forever to launch but the transition and animations would be rough (assuming it didn't crash the PC). I also break the slides into smaller videos should the Pastor decide to mention one or more during the service. Works great for us! Try it - you might like it - plus you never have to worry about what EW PP checkbox is checked or unchecked. :wink:
RGDave

Postby VideoBillBa » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:07 am

Great plan for looping presentations. Rodger suggested we use the viewer for ones that don't need to loop. I get this error on some of these presentations. What is the cure?

Using the PowerPoint 2010 Viewer brings up the other problem we have, some of the presentations will not open when both checkboxes are unchecked. When trying to add a PowerPoint to the schedule, I get "cannot find file xxx.ppt" that is not the name of the file I'm trying to open.
VideoBillBa

PreviousNext

Return to EasyWorship 2009 General Discussion